Thursday, December 26, 2013

Asylum Games: SCG Invitational Qualifier (Standard - Mono Blue 12/21/13)


After running out of steam at SCG: Las Vegas and finding out that I will not be able to make SCG: Dallas in April 2014, I decided going to an invitational qualifier would be the best way to get my next invite and/or some points to go toward an invite.

The only downside was that I would have to play standard and I had access to exactly 2 decks - Mono Black and Mono Blue. After the Invitational went so poorly with Mono Black the decision to switch was an easy one. Plus I love Islands.

My list was pretty stock though I cut the Aetherlings from the sideboard for 2 Dispels.

R1 - Mono Black (1-2)

G1 -T/S into x2 removal spells, into desecration demon, into gray merchant gets there.

G2 - I curve out and get Thassa into play.

G3 -  I get Thoughtseized and he takes a UU guy over one of my 2 Thassa's. Then I draw 2 Thassa's and he is able to kill all my guys so I can never get devotion.


R2 - UW Control (2-0)

G1 - I curve out but dont overextend.

G2 - He sphinxes and plays supreme verdicts but I just commit 2 guys at a time and keep attacking.


R3  - UW Control (2-0)

G1 - Jace + Sphinx takes over the game.

G2 - I sideboard in all the counters and they really pay off while I just tempo him out.

G3 - Dispel counters his sphinx and he dies.


R4- GRW (Chris Jabr) (2-0)

G1 - I tempo him out and kill him with Thassa.

G2 - I just jam dudes every turn and his hate isnt enough. He shows me 4 Misctutter Hydraw and 4 Skylasher after the game.


R5 - Maze's End (2-1)

G1 - He completes his set.

G2 - Dispel wins me the game when he upkeep fogs me.

G3 - Dispel wins me the game when he upkeep fogs me.

I sneak into top 8 as the 8th seed!


Quarters - UW Control

G1 - He mulls to 6 and I have an aggressive start. Eventually I get there but I am patient with my spells.

G2 - I really stumble on mana and never get to trip UUU to cast the 3 nightveils in my hand.

G3 - He keeps a loose one and I attack him to death. Despite him sphinxing for 5.


Semis - Red Sligh (Festus)

G1 - I play blue cards he cannot interact with.

G2 - I play more blue cards he cannot interact with. I end both games at 16 life.


Finals - Esper  

We chop prize and I get the invite. Thanks!

The Decklist:

Also the link to SCG:

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=62164

Not a bad day for my first time out with the deck. Islands are pretty much the best.

-Cheers-

No comments:

Post a Comment