Thursday, December 11, 2014

Buying Magic: the Gathering from Facebook

Lately, I have been using eBay and MOTL less and less to buy and sell Magic cards. I also buy very few Magic cards from US dealers (TCG Player, Bidwicket, SCG, CFB, etc.) because their prices are generally sky high and they don't have the niche items that I generally look for (miscuts, misprints and Russian cards). So where have I been buying my cards from? The perhaps surprising answer is Facebook. Before joining multiple online Facebook Magic groups I rarely used Facebook,mostly because I don't really care what other people are doing or what other people "like."

The first group I joined was Magic: The Gathering misprints and oddities. This niche group now has over 10,312 members. This is quite an astonishing number for such a niche market as misprints.

The second groups that I joined were the Non-English Magic the Gathering trading group and the High End Magic stuff for sale! These groups have ~2000 and ~15,000 members respectively.

The above groups are the groups that I still actively use to buy and sell Magic cards.

So why use Facebook instead of selling to a store, eBay, MOTL, etc.:

Pro -
No fees!
No picture limit
You can message the buyer/seller

Con -
Scammers
Posts can get lost

Be careful out there but don't forget to have fun and buy some new sweet cards (or sell some to me!).

Cheers,
Simon

No comments:

Post a Comment