Monday, February 23, 2015

Magic Online Infect in Modern Update

While I decided to play legacy instead of modern at SCG Houston (although I ultimately couldn't play legacy due to playing in the Standard Open), I did ship my list to a friend:

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=80084

Since I last wrote about infect it has come back onto everyone's mind due to CFB Pantheon playing it at the last Pro Tour (Washington DC).

The nice thing about a big team playing the deck is that it has led to several high quality articles being written about the deck.

The best of these:

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/30279_The-Pro-Tour-Infect-Primer.html

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/the-pantheon-deck-tech-infect/

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/keep-or-mull-infect/

http://www.patsgames.com/ *(Article by Orry Swift)

I don't agree with everything in the above articles but they are mostly on the right track.

Despite seeing these new lists, I am pretty sure my 60 is pretty close to correct but would be willing to accept my sideboard could still use some more work. The big variation between my list is that I am not playing the full 4 Become Immense. As good as the cards is, I just don't think you can afford to be playing x4 Become Immense. This is something I could see myself being wrong about in time but I think a middle ground is stronger than going to the full 4 as advocated by CFB or playing 0 as advocated by Orry.  

Creature [13]

1 Ichorclaw Myr
4 Blighted Agent
4 Glistener Elf
4 Noble Hierarch

Instant [19]

2 Become Immense
2 Apostle's Blessing
3/4 Groundswell
4 Might of Old Krosa
4 Mutagenic Growth
4 Vines of Vastwood
0/1 Twisted Image

Sorcery [6]

4 Gitaxian Probe
2 Distortion Strike
 
Enchantment [2]

2 Wild Defiance

Land [19]

2 Forest
2 Pendelhaven
2 Breeding Pool
4 Inkmoth Nexus
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills
1 Misty Rainforest

Sideboard [15]

1 Carrion Call
1 Sylvan Scrying
1 Wild Defiance
1 Dryad Arbor
2 Dispel
3/4 Nature's Claim
2/3 Spellskite
1 Twisted Image
2 Spell Pierce

The only card that I am on the fence about from the main deck is Twisted Image vs. Groundswell. I have been playing the main deck Twisted Image lately to save on a sideboard slot as well as being pre-boarded against Spellskite. You also sometimes win because you get to Twisted Image your Pendelhavened creature or trigger Wild Defiance. :)

Sideboarding Guide (in progress)

Abzan

Splinter Twin

Amulet Bloom

Affinity

Mirror

The biggest thing to remember is that you can easily sideboard out Gitaxian Probe and/or Mutagenic Growth depending on the match.

-Cheers-
 

No comments:

Post a Comment