Thursday, September 25, 2014

Khanslaught Fetchlands

I don't have all the answers here but the thought popped into my head so I wanted to share. What do the reprinted fetch lands do to legacy?

First the easy one, the reprints clearly make it cheaper to get into the format since the barrier price has been brought down quite a lot. I think some decks like Esper and Miracles get a lot cheaper since you can now get Flooded Strands/Polluted Delta's for ~$20 and the rest of the deck other than dual lands is not too expensive (this may also mean we see Tundra spike in $).

My second thought is that it gets much harder to read your opponent and your opponents deck by what fetchland they play. For reference, I previously wrote a quick post on what fetchlands RUG should play here. With the new reprints now being cheaper than the Zendikar fetchlands we are going to have an interesting dynamic. Previously you could tell if people were new to the format/game because they were obviously using suboptimal fetchlands from Zendikar or if they were just using the cheaper lands since they did the same functional thing in their deck. Now we essentially have 3 sets of fetchlands in play to try and determine information from.

I look forward to this new mental challenge of trying to figure out what deck my opponent is on and what their fetchlands tell me about them. I also look forward to figuring out how deep we go on choosing which lands (and version) I am supposed to play in what deck. How deep do we go?

Cheers,

Simon

No comments:

Post a Comment